Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Night for Proud Parents

We were recently entertained by the 5th Grade Band & Orchestra - their first concert ever! Let me just say how proud we are of Jared and all the kids in his Band class. He was so excited all week long in preparation for this night. He only started learning the trumpet about 5 months ago (my next Chris Botti!) I was thoroughly impressed at how much he had learned and how well he played!! We were beside ourselves at the concert as you will see and hear in these videos. There were no solos performed by him but as a whole, the group did very well.

The required attire was black pants, white shirt and tie. Jared got dressed the night before to make sure everything was in order and when he came out I could hardly believe my eyes! It was as if he just grew up overnight; no longer my little baby...that's when I realized how old I'm actually getting! Just kidding! He looked so good I had to have him do some poses and I thought it would be fun to have him pose as "Bond, James Bond"(Another one of my favorites; those who know me!) with his airsoft gun. By the way, I tied his tie!! Yes, Me!!! I was so shocked that I remembered how! Kurt taught me years and years ago and by trial and error I figured it out again! I was quite proud of that!











Jared unfortunately was seated in the back row - where all the trumpet players were so we couldn't get his face in the videos but we did get some pictures before and after the concert. This is one of their favorite songs played called Hard Rock Blues!

This is one of those programs that will be first in line to be cut as we face millions of dollars in budget cuts this year and subsequent years. I can personally think of a few other subjects that our kids can do without and music has been proven to be an asset in a child's growth and conducive to their learning! Why are the arts always seen as "unnecessary" in a school curriculum?



1 comment:

  1. He is a handsome little guy!! There band sounds great for elementary. You definitely should be proud.

    ReplyDelete