Saturday, June 19, 2010

50, it's just a number....right?

We celebrated our neighbor and friend, Jim Hormberg's 50th Birthday this Friday.  It was a surprise his wife Mary put together with a couple months of planning.

I have to say I thought for sure he knew what was going on and wouldn't be too surprised but he swore up and down that he was totally clueless!
All in all, it was a nice 60 peeps or so guests in our cul-de-sac; complete with a roasted pig and of course, lots of booze and music!  

It seems so strange that I can relate more to someone that's 50 or older than I can with a 20 or 30 something.  That number is not that far off for me...about 8 years, which goes by pretty fast these days.  I'm not afraid other than the fact that I will actually look and feel older than 50 when I'm there!  So far, I don't even feel 42 and have been told I don't look it either...so there may be hope but I am seeing some wrinkles on my forehead creeping in! Ughhhhh!!

What a milestone and one where you might do a little reflection I would think.  Such thoughts as ; have I done everything I wanted to do so far?  You know how popular bucket lists are these days!  However, more importantly I think, what have I done or put out into this world, during my time here so far and has it been positive and beneficial to anyone or anything?  I think we all want to feel a sense of purpose while we're here for what really is a moment in time, a glimpse...

Perhaps that's my real fear...not so much the age of 50 or older but that I had no effect on anyone.  I have good intentions and try to help when I can but sometimes it just doesn't seem to matter or change the universal theory of karma or an action equal a reaction.  What if I don't find what my purpose is...?  Is this something everyone knows eventually?  I may be the oddball here...What is your purpose?














No comments:

Post a Comment