Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Goodbye Michael Jackson

As you all know by now the legendary Michael Jackson has passed away. Think what you may about him and what his life has meant to you or not meant to you. The bottom line is that he was a true talent and musical genius. I still can here the songs from his "Off the Wall" album in my head and sing to them or "Thriller" - choreographing cheerleading dance routines to his music! Brings back a lot of great memories and like all music it ties you to a certain time or events that were going on in your life.



What a shock it's been due to his untimely death but I guess the verdict is still out as to how he arrived at the state of a cardiac arrest. Now there are speculations that it may have been caused by prescription drugs he was taking. Just like the other "King" - Elvis Presley, I'm sure he was on several meds.

It would have been so wonderful I've thought in the past to become a superstar like the Michael Jackson or Britney Spears - mega superstardom. All the fame, fortune and untold adulations that came with it. However, as the story unfolds like so many, it appears that Michael led a very lonely and sad life. Everything from the beatings he received from his father which may have led to his ever changing appearance and the need to recapture his youth that was taken away from him.

I didn't follow him much in the recent years because like many I just didn't understand his moods and changes he placed upon himself. All the media focused on were his extravagant spending habits and the never ending accusations of situations involving children - none of which fascinated me.

As I watched his memorial on tv today; I couldn't help but be somewhat cynical as to why so many strangers were vying for a last look or encounter with the King of Pop. I can understand how someone in the entertainment world could have an effect on you because you love what they do, but a great deal of these people probably never even seen him live or know him personally yet they were so affected by his death.



I loved his music and I think with everyone and all music; it transports you back to a time in your life or an event that brings joy, happiness and sometimes sadness. That's what Michael's music did for me and countless others. I think his Off the Wall album was one of my first albums I bought that I could call my own!



It wasn't a shame that the world lost a true talent but what seemed to be the saddest thing is that he may have died a very lonely person...

1 comment:

  1. Nice tribute to a music legend. I his death was a bit of a surprise, but not really. So many high profile people have such early and untimely deaths.

    The poor man had all the talent in the world, but had no sense of reality, being a celebrity as far back as his memory could comprehend. He became is stage personna. He was such a lonely, confused and dramatic person. I did feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete